Getting Around Belle Verte City
The closest grocery store is an Athitakis shop – mini market at 22 Sfakion street, that is approximately 200 meters away. The cheapest super market is SYNKA at No 1 Apokoronou Street, you will found there everything you need, with best prices. If you want to use a coupon for cheeper prices, you can tell to counter before you pay the number 396887.
There are also a number of different shops, banks, bars, and restaurants nearby. Please let us know if you are searching for a specific type of store or restaurant, and we can point you in the right direction!
Navy museum at the end of old Harbur
East of the town of Chania on the road that leads to the Cape and the Airport are the Tombs of Venizelos.
The Turkish Hamam on Katre street, is one of the public baths built by the Ottomans, when they occupied Chania. It is located in the old aristocratic district of Kasteli, in the old town of Chania.
Tabakaria, situated in the rocky eastern region of Chania, is the district where, since the early 19th century, the tanneries for processing leather were located. It is a very atmospheric region, an architectural monument of the industrial age.
Stivanadika of Chania is located on Skridlof street, where it connects with Chalidon Street, the main street of the old city. Every major city in Crete had a specified area at its shopping center, where you could find traditional shoemakers, that made the Cretan stivania. Stivania were high boots, stiff, of excellent durability, usually black and, rarely white, an integral part of the Cretan male costume.
Splantzia during the Ottoman era was predominantly a Turkish neighborhood. It extends south and east of the walled hill of Kasteli, in the old town of Chania. Here used to be the Turkish mahalas of the town, with its central square, that has now been renamed to 1821 square.
The House of Eleftherios Venizelos
His family home, is located in Chalepa, a suburb of wealthy citizens, diplomatic officers and consular offices. It was constructed around 1878 on a plot of approximately 2 acres, purchased by the father of Eleftherios Venizelos, Kyriakos. The two-storey house had the supplementary spaces on the ground floor and the bedrooms and reception room on the first floor. The garden was planted with various trees, vineyards, olive trees and was protected by a wooden fence.
Eleftherios Venizelos lived there from 1880 until 1910. During this period of his stay in Chania, he got married, his two children were born and this is were his wife Maria died, on 11th of November 1894.
The Ηouse of the MP Manousos Koundouros
It was built under the plans and supervision of engineer Michael Savakis and it is at the end of Iroon Politechniou street, just above the sea.
The house of the MP Manousos Koundouros is a detached house, built in 1909. A small balcony on the north and a widening of the floor plan to the west are characteristics of the building. In the northwestern corner a small tower is formed, characteristic of the works of Savakis, some of his other works in the city of Chania being the Judicial – Administrative Building and the Despotiko.
The Municipal Art Gallery
It is housed in Koundouros Palace, at the top of Halidon Street. It is a three-storey building built in 1910, a typical example of Neoclassical Greek Architecture of commercial and industrial buildings constructed in the late 19th and early of 20th century.
The walls of the building of the Municipal Art Gallery are made of unrendered stones. On the facade, on Halidon Street, equally sized stones, perfectly carved, placed next to each other with mathematical precision, create an imposing aesthetic result.
Santrivani (current Eleftherios Venizelos Square)
It is the central square in the Old Town of Chania. Located next to the crowded waterfront of Venetian Port at the Coast Tompazis, it has a lot of cafes, restaurants and souvenir shops. Trademark of the square is a fountain of white marble that dominates its center.
Inside the Municipal Garden of Chania, on its northeast corner dominates the Clock of the Garden, one of the most characteristic monuments of Chania.
The construction of the Clock of the Garden begun in 1924 and finished in 1927. It consists of three parts: the base, trunk (whose sides converge upwards) and the roof, which has the form of a circular pavilion.
The Gate of Renier Mansion
It is located on Moschon street and leads to the chapel of Our Lady of Renier and the Old Town of Chania. In the arched doorway of the Gate of Renier Mansion is preserved the Latin inscription MULTA TYLIT, FECITQUE ET STUDVIT DULCES / PATER, SVDAVIT ET ALSIT, SEMPER REQUIES CERENAT. CDC VIII. IDI. B. IAN, which is translated: “He brought a lot, did a lot and studied a lot, our sweet father, he strained and sweated. Let him have eternal peace”. The date indicates that the Gate of Renier Mansion was built in January of 1608.
It was named in honor of the great revolution of the Cretans (1866 to 1869) against the Turks, which culminated with the holocaust of Arkadi.
It is located immediately after the end of the old city in the southwestern part of the Venetian Walls. From the northwestern side of the 1866 square starts Halidon street, the main street of the old town leading to the Venetian Port.
Itis located in Chalepa between Venizelos residence and the French School. The Palace is a typical example of a mansion from its era, built in 1882 by the rich merchan Themistocles Mitsotakis, related to the father of the ex Prime Minister Constantine Mitsotakis.
The exterior wall claddings of the Palace are made from Penteli marble, the wood used is cedar from Lebanon, and the rails of the balcony are made of crystal, as we are informed by Mrs. Emily Bletsa in her book “Chania outside the Walls”. In the interior, on the ground floor are the reception rooms and kitchen, while on the first floor are the private rooms. Each floor is 250 square meters.
In the Old Port of Chania, the last of the dockyards to the west, is the Grand Arsenal, which stands alone,separate from the rest.
Although its construction had already been completed in the 1600’s, its systemic utilization as a functional building did not start until the mid-19th century. In 1872, a second floor was added to the building and since then, the Grand Arsenal was used to house the Christian School, theatrical performances, municipal hospital, and the City Hall of Chania, for more than a decade, since 1928.
The Venetian port
With the lighthouse is a trademark of the city of Chania. Today it attracts many visitors, tourists and locals, mainly during the summer months. Many restaurants, taverns, cafes, bars along the beach offer relaxing hours for recreation and entertainment.
The Venetian Dockyards
are among the most impressive monuments in the old harbor of Chania. They were built in the 16th century, when the fleet of the Venetians ruled in the Mediterranean. The need to repair the fleet was covered by the Venetian Dockyards, which is also known as Arsenalia, from the Latin word «arsenalli», or as shipyards.
In 1599, the complex consisted of 17 Dockyards, while later the construction began on further five to the east of the port of Dockyards of Moro, named after the responsible Provveditore Generale.
The Judicial – Administrative Palace
The “Directorate” palace, or “Palace of the Courts” is located on Liberty Square and it is the second public building, after the Italian barracks, built outside the walls of the old city.
Its construction began in the last years of the Turkish occupation, and it was intended as a Turkish military hospital. In 1893, Michael Savakis took over the supervision of the project of construction of the Judicial – Administrative Palace.
The Public Garden
The public garden of Chania hosts many types of trees, shrubs, fruit-bearing and ornamental plants, as well as a small zoo with animals from Cretan fauna. On its huge premises you will also find the public children’s library, the public cinema and a municipal cafe.
The Municipal Market
The Municipal Market of Chania, the huge building of 4,000 square meters on Hatzimichalis Giannaris, is one of the most important modern monuments of the city of Chania. It was built in 1913 on the bastion Piatta Forma, in the middle of the walls of the Venetian period. In essence this was a serious intervention of modernization and integration of the old with the new, growing rapidly outside the Venetian walls.
Until the late 19th century in the Municipal Market of Chania butchers, fishmongers and vegetable stores were unofficially located, an outdoor street market, where the villagers brought their products to sell them. Now is not working.
The residence of the Metropolitan of Kidonia and Apokoronos, is a characteristic monument of the modern era of Chania. It was built in the early 20th century with designs and the supervision of engineer Michael Savakis, in order to house his home and office. Michael Savakis, apart from Despotiko, had overseen the construction of many of the major monuments of Chania including the Judiciary – Administrative Palace and the home of parliamentarian Manousos Koundouros.
(mosque of the seas) or Tzami Koioutsouk Hassan (in honor of the first Garrison commander of Chania Küçük Hasan) dominates the old harbor and is one of the most famous monuments of Chania. It is the first mosque built by the Ottomans in Crete.
Yali Tzamisi is a cubic building, covered by a large dome, without a drum, which is standing on four stone arches. From the west and the north side, it is surrounded by a covered arcade, on the roof of which seven small domes, also without drum can be distinguished. Yali Tzamisi does not have a minaret, since it was demolished in 1920 (or 1939).
The French School
is a neoclassical building of the early 20th century, in Chalepa, on Eleftherios Venizelos street. Together with the Palace next to it and the House of Venizelos right after, they constitute a cluster of three of the most important monuments of the modern history of Chania.
The main building of the French School was built in 1858 on behalf of Egyptian Merchant. The Order of the Fraternity of St. Joseph Catholic Church bought it in 1895, to house the needs of the French school.
It is located at Nikiforos Fokas street, at a very close distance from the East Moat. Both of the buildings are under the property of the Association for the Dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete. Its construction began in 1931 and ended in 1933. Elena, the wife of Eleftherios Venizelos, is the person who brought the designs of the construction from France and beard the expenses.
The Monument of Kandanos